3D imaging can detect defects, illustrate topography, and more.
A great deal of machine vision technology is two dimensional; however, there is a growing trend toward 3D machine vision inspection and imaging. 3D machine vision inspection delivers accurate, real time 3D position information to improve performance in applications.
3D machine vision inspection can detect objects, regardless of their position. This gives robots, for example, more flexibility and independence. A robot with this type of application can see how a work piece is lying, upright, or hanging and can grab the right item in a targeted manner.
Another real world benefit of this is 3D inspection robot guidance and taking the initial example of known product dimensions on a conveyor belt. A 3D robot guidance system will deal with product variants even when the next product type and size is unknown.
3D technology is currently being used in the following industries:
- FaroArm Measurement at Integro Technologies
- High Speed Vision Guided Pick and Place Robotics
- Benefits of 3D Machine Vision: A Quantum Leap For Manufacturing Robots
- Ranger3 from SICK honored with 2018 Innovators Award
- Coherix Awarded Gold 2018 Innovators Award for Predator3D™ Bead Inspection
- Latest News from Smart Vision Lights – May 2018
- High Speed Vision Inspection Applications for Electronics Manufacturers
- Ensuring Assembly Correctness in the Automotive Industry
- High Speed Syringe Vision Inspection System
- 3D Bead Inspection – Coherix & Yamaha Robotics